Sunday 2 October 2016

Social Shaping of Social Media

The article “13, Right Now”, written by Jessica Contrera, is a very interesting read and I feel as if many people can relate to the storyline and the ways in which smartphones and social media make us feel.  The article discusses the everyday life of a 13 year old girl named Katherine Pommerening.  It begins by explaining the morning routine of Katherine.  She ensures she has checked all of her social media accounts, more than once.  This is because all of her friends are on social media and this is the platform that they use to connect to one another.  Within today’s society, it is very rare to meet someone within our age group and younger that doesn’t have at least one form of social media.  Having social media is an expectation within our society.  This expectation has led to anxiety about the interactivity that comes with social media and the digital age.  This anxiety comes about through many ways, one being the constant need to stay connected and to appear connected throughout the world of social media.
Social Shaping can be described as “a mix of affordances, the capabilities configurations of technological qualities enable—and the unexpected and emergent ways that people make use these of those affordances" (51, Baym).  Social Shaping is apparent throughout Katherine’s use of social media, in particular, Instagram.  It is evident, that for Katherine, Instagram is a place where people want to feel accepted.  She seems to be very particular with her Instagram postings and claims she deletes a lot of her pictures if they do not get as many likes as she intended.  Because of this, it has induced anxiety over her as she may feel that her peers will not accept her.

I feel that Social Shaping is apparent within my life in the aspect of Instagram as well.  I do feel anxiety if my post does not get as many likes as I first intended or if I do not keep up with Instagram consistently enough that I may miss a friend’s post.  I believe that this Instagram related anxiety is very common, and I have had conversations with friends about this and similar topics, and many feel the same way as well.

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting your idea on how it is an expectation now that you have to have access to every social media site. I didn't have Instagram for the longest time and it was almost as if my friends judged me for it, and eventually forced me into getting it. I believe thats an anxiety in and of itself that leads to FOMO, when other people have a social media site that you don't, which is entices to you to get it more. Just as well, I can relate to the social anxieties that arise within websites like Instagram. Since Instagram has become so common and mainstream, and everyone has it, people have become more caught up in likes, what time to post a photo, the right filter, etc. The idea of just posting a photo now has sparked more anxieties for teenagers, because of societies expectations of how it should be represented in the media.

    ReplyDelete