Tuesday 4 October 2016

Technological Determinism

Do you remember growing up and only being allowed to go on the "family computer" (which was for the most part located in an open room where EVERYONE could monitor your every move) for at most a couple hours a day? And, for the most part would look a little something like this…




I do, and I've been able to witness how the adoption of technology has merged into our lives as a tool that is being used on a daily basis by a young and younger generation. When presented with the article on Katherine, a 13 year old that feels societies pressure to have an identity through different social media platforms I instantaneously thought about my nephews (3, 6 and 11 years old) who are continuously glued to their smart phone devices. I’m not even exaggerating when I say my 3 year old nephew knows how to work YouTube and play Mindcraft better than my 65 year old mom knows how to work a cell phone. As a new generation emerges you can see the anxiety that they receive when they do not have access to these technologies as Baym states that a, “Moral panic [happens] which anxieties over uncontrollable social forces become the focus of efforts to understand a new cultural trend” (Bayman, 49). Like Katherine, who develops a sense of anxiety when she is not surrounded by her smartphone (a lifeline, in her eyes) I believe that a lot of young people continue to feel the pressure of developing their online persona, which causes stress, and social anxiety, which distributes out into their real life relationships. Part of the Washington Post article that really got to me was when the author states, “She has 604 followers. There are only 25 photos on her page because she deletes most of what she posts. The ones that don’t get enough likes, don’t have good enough lighting or don’t show the coolest moments in her life must be deleted". I found this part of the article really sad frankly, and how Katherine a 13 year old girl is struggling to enjoy her life by being continuously glued on to her smartphone is unable to experience and post what she wants because she feels the social pressure to fit the ideologies of what others are doing. I came across this picture online that I think sums up the way of life that the next generation is being affected through the normality and overuse of the Internet and specifically social media platforms. 




I decided to look deeper into the theoretical framework, Technological Determinism because after reading the article in The Washington Post I was able to relate to the story of Katherine. I related to the article through my nephews and how their childhood is significantly different due to the technologies that are marketed to them as normal everyday device and how they have adopted them into their social and culture values.

5 comments:

  1. Caroline,
    Great post! I also remember the days on using my families office computer.. and being able to connect with my friends over MSN for maybe a few hours a day. There were restraints on my use of technologies that now today children (as young as 3 years old like your nephew) are able to use these technologies at their disposal. It is mind blowing to see the changes the our society has faced with these technology even in the past 5-10 years. It is also very clear to see the way that social interactions are changing because of this. Although these technologies bring many positives, they have also created issues such as increased levels of social anxiety and the inability for people to articulate and present ourselves in real space as well as we may in our virtual worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Caroline! My cousins are about the same age as your nephews and I see that same things happening with them. One cousin who is 9 had an iPhone when he was 7, and before that, an iPad. His parents gave him the phone even though they complain that he's already so consumed by other pieces of technology, like his iPad or the tv. My aunt and uncle will make comments about how they didn't grow up like that and technology is making him dumb, yet they still feed into his desire to have the newest technologies because they've become as much a part of their social and cultural values as they have his.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my family computer that my sister and I would argue over to talk to our friends on MSN was in a separate room but if we ever closed the door we would not be allowed to use for a week. I can only image how my little brothers feel without there phones, they are 11 and 13 and are literally always on their phones or the computer unless they are at hockey or lacrosse practice. Both of them had iPhone 6's while I had a 4s until I recently bought myself a phone last month. While my parents do punish them and take them way occasionally their phones which were supposed to be for "safety" reasons have completely consumed my little brothers an the younger generation of today. I personally think it is a little ridiculous how technology has played such a large role in shaping their lives even for someone who uses it quite often myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Caroline! Love the images you posted..that lizzie game was fab!
    Just like you mentioned (as well as the others who commented) I remember when I had a very limited time on our family computer to play the sims or talk on MSN and you're right nowadays it is very different as kids are more invested and "glued" to technology. My younger cousins (4 and 8) are addicted to the use of technology already, watching them grow up I have seen how they evolve with it. The eldest is already addicted as he gets very upset when his time with the iPad is over and also talks about the use of technology he has in the classroom (so its used more frequently than just at home). It worries me that technology can play a huge role now in shaping lives and although they can be used for great technological tools they have unhealthy impacts on kids when used too much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading your post it made me think of the way that we interacted with the technology that was available to us when we were younger. There was no such thing as the anxieties attached to technology that users are now feeling. We were only ever allowed a certain amount of time on the computer or using a GameBoy or Nintendo system, we did not have the access to it on a regular basis. The only way that I would be able to communicate with my friends is if I called their home phone or walked over to their house. Kids now a days have much more access to technology and feel a sense of panic without it. This is something that technology has brought onto individuals in the past decade. Therefore, technology has shaped the way that children are brought up and how they interact with other people on a regular basis. It determines how social structures are created and manipulated in today's society.

    ReplyDelete