Tuesday 20 September 2016

Grace VanderWaal - America's Got Talent Season 11 Winner


I chose to share a clip from the most recent season finale of America’s Got Talent, when Nick Cannon announced the winner – 12 year old singer-songwriter Grace VanderWaal.  My boyfriend first introduced me to VanderWaal about a month ago.  He showed me a few original performances by her - I Don’t Know my Name, Beautiful Thing, and Light in the Sky. After watching her perform Light in the Sky at the semifinals, I anxiously awaited the final episode. I spent the next week watching clips of VanderWaal on Youtube and began following her on social media accounts. Not only does VanderWaal write her own songs and produce her own music, she also plays the ukulele.

I haven’t watched a single episode of AGT on television. Instead I have been following her online. Initially I watched videos of VanerWaal on YouTube but ever since Vanderwaal has gone viral after the announcement of her win she is now the talk of numerous news channels across various broadcasting and social media outlets. It's remarkable how fast the young singer has gone from being a normal 12 year old girl living in Kansas City to a singer-songwriter and ukulelelist that is recognized all over North America.

Some broadcasters have compared her to Taylor Swift, which is ignorant in my opinion. VanderWaal’s talent is not comparable to any other artist – she is unique to anything there is which is the reason I love her so much. During one of the episodes Simon Cowell says even though VanderWaal’s voice is occasionally off a few notes, that makes her special and demonstrates how her raspy voice is powerful like no other.  

One interview I watched the other day included her parents. Her and her mother explained how they’re still so shocked to have won America’s Got Talent. Grace and her mom thought the experience of waiting in line for 5 hours to audition for the show would be fun on its on – they never expected to make it past that. A few months later Grace has found herself named the winner of season 11 and soon-to-be (if not already) the hottest singer-songwriter on the market.


Anyway, I just wanted to share VanderWaal’s talent in case some of you haven’t yet heard her :) Can’t wait to see her perform once she announces her world tour!!

2 comments:

  1. Great choice of topic maddy! I remember seeing her audition video all over my Facebook newsfeed when the episode hit the air and being blown away by her talent! I remember the captions being like "the next taylor swift", and although I'm a fan of taylor I completely agree with you that her voice and talent cannot be compared to others. I can't wait to hear more from Grace soon :)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Maddy,

    I love watching Americas Got Talent videos on YouTube! Often at times I will go to watch one and find myself deep into audition videos and hour gone by. I remember when I first watched her audition, and was amazed by her talent. Since she won I have seen countless articles on her as well as television appearance’s on shows such as Ellen DeGeneres. One of Grace’s videos I really like is her cover of Ellie King “Ex’s & Oh’s”. Check it out! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SbLtb3vv2s

    ReplyDelete