Sunday 18 September 2016

Lip Sync Battle



Lip Sync Battle has been online phenomenon since Jimmy Fallon began doing segments on his show The Tonight Show. I always caught myself binge watching these videos on YouTube consecutively watching some of my favourite celebrities do an outrageous performance to some of the most popular songs. LSB continues to draw millions of views online through the Tonight Show YouTube channel, that it was picked up by Spike TV to be hosted by LL Cool J and Chrissy Tighten as a series being put directly into primetime. The show was rejected by numerous big time television networks and has been a success ever since it aired; I thought it was interesting how although an audience was there (through the YouTube channel) that the show struggled to get a network to commit to them. As the Internet continues to develop, I find it fascinating how the content of users (using platforms such as YouTube/Tumblr/IG where they are able to produce their own content and be creative without any restrictions) has the ability to influence the content that is being produced for TV. In response to Sara’s post on the success of Carpool Karaoke I believe that Apple recently bought the show, where episodes will be exclusively shared with Apple Music members (a paid subscriptions base). Apple buying into Carpool Karaoke I believe was triggered from the success of LSB, and the company is redirecting viewers to their platforms instead of subscribing to another form of media.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Caroline!

    I also really enjoy watching these Lip Sync Battles as Jimmy Fallon is probably my favourite Talk Show Host. I love hearing that someone else binge watches these as well, I find them very addicting. I also really enjoy watching LSB with Chrissy Tiegen and LL Cool J because I love watching celebrities let loose and have fun in a different environment- you are able to see a celebrity's creativity and personality! I didn't know that Apple purchased Carpool Karaoke but I am a big fan of that segment with James Corden as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caroline,

    I wanted to start off by saying that I really enjoyed reading your post. I personally love watching Lip Sync Battle videos on Youtube of my favourite celebrity. I agree that through the development of the internet and various media platforms, audiences have altered their way of thinking in regards to video and photo content. For example, just because someone chooses to watch a certain program on Youtube doesn't necessarily mean that they will be interested in watching the same show on T.V. Another example of a show that I personally only watch on the internet rather then on the T.V is The Ellen Show. I would argue that the fact that the Youtube clips are often less then two minutes in length is a major deciding factor in the way in which I chose to watch video content.

    ReplyDelete